Walls of Dubrovnik
Walls of Dubrovnik are complex fortifications that surround the old town of Dubrovnik, and take the form of an irregular polygon. They were built from the
13th to the 17th century for the city’s defence. The construction of the first fort began in the first part of 8th century. The most intensive construction
was from the mid-15th century to the late 16th century. City walls define the look of typical medieval city of Dubrovnik, known all around the world.
The city of Dubrovnik is completely enclosed by walls, including the old harbour. Walls are 1,940 meters long, 25 meters high, with land side length of 4-6 m, and the sea side length of 1,5-3m. The walls are protected by towers: Minceta Tower, Bokar Tower, Tower of St. John and Tower Revelin.
Minceta Tower is a large cylindrical fortress with a massive base located in the north part of the city walls. It was named after the family Mencetic. At its peak, massive battlements are situated at fivefold stone console. The tower is a symbol of Dubrovnik, with nation flag, which is replaced by Libertas flag in the summer period.
Bokar tower, fort with three rich cornices is located on the west side of the city walls. Also called Star, tower was built from the 1461 until 1463. The interior is populated with small casemates for guns and ammunition locker. The main task of this fort was to defend the bridge and moat at Gate of Pila. Tower of St. John is located on the east of the city walls. It was built in the 16th century. Main function of tower was to guard the entrance to the old harbour.
Revelin Tower is a fortress located on the east side of the city walls. It was built in 1462. It is separated from the city by moat, but connected by a bridge. Ground-plan of the fort is an irregular rectangle. The fort is surrounded by a moat on three sides, and on the fourth side it is surrounded by the sea. In front of the fortress, there is a great platform – tank guns, which are used to protect the harbour. Various conferences, concerts and other events are frequent guest of the old fort. Roof Terrace Revelina, once a powerful platform for guns is now a stage for performances of Dubrovnik Summer Festival..
Tower Lovrijenac is a tower on the cliffs on the west side of Dubrovnik, 37m above sea level. This is the only fort which is not included within the city walls. In the middle of the courtyard there is a huge cistern for rainwater. The fort is entered via two bridges and through a small door that reads “Freedom cannot be taken, nor for all the gold in the world”. This fort was well preserved and armed, well-known for weddings and shows. It represents a historic symbol of resistance to the Venetian Republic. There are three entrances to the city walls; on the Stradun by the Pila Gate, at the tower of St. John, and the castle of Saint Luke. The city walls were once a symbol of a powerful defence system, and today is a cultural and historical heritage of the city of Dubrovnik.