The basic rules of road safety
- Always maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- At a speed of 90 km /h (55mph), distance between vehicles should be 50 meters.
- Service your vehicle regularly and make sure that your vehicle is always in good condition
- Check tires
- Engine oil level
Speed limits in Croatia
- In towns – 50 km/h (31mph)
- Outside town- 90 km/h (55mph)
- On roads designed exclusively for motor vehicles and speed roads – 110 km/h (68mph)
- On highways 130 km/h (80 mph)
- For vehicles with a caravan trailer without brakes – 80 km/h (49 mph)
- For bus and buses with a light trailer without brakes- 80 km/h (49mph), on highways – 100 km/h (62mph) (except those buses transporting children)
Advice on road
- Adjust vehicle movement speed on wet roadway
- Drive on the right side of the road
- Road rules include driving with the daily or short lights in winter time period (The last Sunday in October to the last Sunday in March)
- Using cell phones during driving is prohibited
- You must always wear a seat belt in the front and rear of the vehicle
- Alcohol limit in the blood is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood (0.5 per mil)
- Reflective vest which driver shall use, or wear it when on the road, and outside the car (changing a tire, doing repairs on the vehicle, pouring fuel, asking for help stopping other vehicles) is mandatory equipment in vehicles.
- Turn on the radio for the traffic information system in order to find out what is happening on the road and avoid waiting or inquire at Croatian Automobile Club (Tel +385/072-777-777).
What to do in case of traffic accident
- First, inform the police about the accident (tel 192)
- Provide the location of the accident (post a triangle), and take measures to eliminate the threat of new accident
- Wait for the police to arrive
- Important information about solving traffic accident on the Croatian insurance companies, or auto mechanic, you can get from the police officer who investigated the scene of an accident
- If vehicle is damaged, certificate of vehicle damage should be collected from the police, without which you cannot cross the state border.
Fines for most often traffic violations*
- Improper parking and stopping – 300 HRK (40 € / 55$ / 32 L)
- Not adjusting speed to the road conditions – 300 HRK (40 € / 55$ / 32 L)
- Not wearing a seatbelt – 500 HRK (65 € / 90$ / 53 L)
- Driving in a populated place at speed that is 10 km (6mph) higher than permitted, or driving outside the town at speed which is 10-30 km/h (6-18mph) higher than the permitted – 500 HRK (65 € / 90$ / 53 L)
- Driving in a populated area at a speed that is 10-30 km/h (6-18mph) higher than permitted, or driving outside the town at speed which is 30-50 km/h (18-31mph) higher than the permitted – 1000 HRK (130 € / 180$ / 105L)
- Not respecting the advantage of vehicle passage – 500 HRK (65 € / 90$ / 53L)
- To 0.50 per mil is allowed, except in the case of traffic accident – 700 HRK (90 € / 125$/ 75L)
- 0.51 to 1.00 per mil -1000 to 2000 HRK (130 € – 260€ / 180$ – 360$/ 105L-210L)
- 1.01 to 1.50 per mil – 2,000 to 5,000 HRK (260€ – 650€ / 360$ – 900$ /210L – 535L)
- Above 1.50 per mil – 5000-15000 HRK or imprisonment up to 60 days (650€ – 2000€ / 900$ – 2800$/535L – 1655L)
Driving under the influence of alcohol
* Revocation of driver’s license and penalty points are not listed. Fines are subject of change.